A basic and useful stock, light vegetable stock can also be made with leeks and cauliflower, or any light vegetable peelings.
4 medium sized onions
2 whole celery stalks
1 medium sized carrot
3 cloves of garlic
6 cups of water
A few pepper corns
Bouquet garni, consisting of 2, parsley sprigs
1 bay leaf
1 thyme spray
Salt to taste
1 tb spoon veg. or corn oil
(Vegetables, except onions, can be replaced with any other such as, mushroom stalks, turnip, cauliflower, and leeks).
- Slice onions, wash the vegetables but do not peel them, and cut into small pieces.
- In the pressure cooker heat the oil over moderate heat.
- Add the vegetables and fry them till the onions become soft but not brown.
- Add water, bouquet garni and pepper corns and pressure cook till high pressure is reached, reduce heat and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Strain the stock into a bowl and press down with the back of a spoon to take out all the juices. Discard the vegetables and seasonings left in the strainer.
- Cool and put in the fridge ready for use. Can also be frozen in small containers to be used one at a time.