800 gms chicken
200 gms/ approximately 1cup chopped onions
1tbsp ginger paste
1 1/2 tb sps garlic paste
200 gms /1 cup yogurt
3 tbsps oil
1" stick cinnamon
5 green cardmoms
1 tb sp coriander powder
1 t sp red chilli powder
2 tb sps kasuri methi /dry fenugreek leaves crushed and soaked in 1/2 cup warm water
salt to taste
1 tb sp chopped green coriander
- Wash and cut the chicken into 8 pieces skin removed.
- Heat oil in a kadai/ large frypan.
- Add all the whole masalas, add the chopped onions and fry till golden brown and a bit soft.
- Add ginger paste and fry well ,not letting it stick to the pan.
- Add the chicken pieces and fry till brown on all sides.
- Now add the garlic paste and Kasuri methi/ dry fenugrrek leaves that have been soaked in water for 10 minutes and fry well for atleast 5 minutes.
- Add the dry masalas and let it cook till the raw smell goes. Sprinkle a little water if too dry.
- The chicken should be well browned by now.
- Lower heat and add well beaten yogurt, stirring all the time so that it does not split.
- Mix well with the chicken and cover the kadai /pan with a lid and cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove the cover and gently turn the chicken, it should have enough liquid, if not add 1/4 cup water, mix well and cover for another 5-7 minutes.
- Check if the chicken is tender and cook on slow heat without the lid for another 2-3 minutes, taking care not to break the pieces.The masala should coat the chiken well but should not be too dry.
- Sprinkle chopped green coriander and ginger julliens on top and serve with rotis/parathas or rice.