1 cup Basmati rice or any other good quality rice washed and soaked for 20-30 minutes
1/2 cup chana dal (split gram) soaked for atleast 1 hour
1 small onion sliced fine (optional)
1 1/2 piece ginger cut into fine julliens
1 t sp cumin seeds
1/2 t sp red chilli powder or chilli flakes
salt to taste
1 1/2 tb sps oil
2 1/2 cups of water
- Heat oil in a sauce pan,add cumin seeds,add onions as soon as the cumin splutters and fry till golden brown.
- Drain and add the dal (gram), ginger julliens, salt and chilli flakes/powder, mix well with the onions
- Add 1/4 cup water, cover with a lid , lower heat and let the dal cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the remaining water,let it come to a boil on high flame.Now add the rice and cover with a lid when boiling.
- Lower heat and cook till the water has dried up and the rice is tender, about 8 minutes.
- Serve with cucumber and onion raita, papad, chutney and pickle.
Note: This is a complete meal providing protien and carbs.