1 cup boiled peas
2 medium size potatoes boiled and cut into halves
1green chilli, slit
1 tb spoon ginger julliens
juice of 1/2 a lime or lemon
1/2 tsp whole jeera (cumin)
1 tb sp roasted dhania (coriander powder)
1/2 t sp roasted chilli flakes
1/2 tsp amchur (mango powder)
1/4 t sp hing (asafoetida)
1tb sp cooking oil
1t sp ghee or butter
fresh coriander for garnish
- Heat oil in a fry pan till smoking.
- Add whole jeera and as it begins to crackle, lower heat and add hing/asafoetida.
- Add coriander powder, chilli flakes and quickly add the potato halves taking care not to burn the masalas.
- Fry the potatoes till evenly browned on all sides and well coated with the masalas.
- Add boiled peas and fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the ginger julliens and mango powder,and toss.
- Garnish with fresh chopped dhania/coriander/cilantro leaves.
- Add a tea spoon of ghee or a knob of butter and fry till aromatic.
- Serve hot, on a platter with a good squeeze of lime juice.
Note: Jingling glass bangles......colourful bindies in all shapes and sizes........long "parandies" with silk and gold tassles...........mehendiwallies calling out for clientele............finger licking ALOO MATAR CHAAT!!!!
Oh take me back to the excitement of Tuesday evenings outside Delhi's Hanuman Mandir and the giggling company of college friends !